Winter in Des Moines can be brutal, especially with kids. Finding things to do that are worth the hassle of bundling everyone up and driving in the freezing cold can be a challenge. But it’s important as parents that we remember to try and get out and about for everyone’s sanity!
Here are some ideas for FREE things to do in Des Moines this winter
1. Check out The Des Moines Art Center. Check out their calendar of events.
2. Go sledding at Winter Park in Urbandale. There’s a great sledding hill and an ice arena. The best part? It is free and open seven days a week!
4. Go to story time at Storyhouse Book Pub. This sweet little bookstore in the East Village is everything a bookstore should be: cozy, eclectic, and charming. Grab a coffee from Daisy Chain around the corner. Check out their event calendar here.
5. Tour the state Capitol. Tours are free and run Monday through Saturday. You can schedule a guided tour online.
6. Burn energy at the Valley Community Center in West Des Moines. It has a small indoor play area, a coffee shop, and gym. They have weekly movies, family dodgeball and more on their calendar of events.
What other FREE things to do with your kids in the winter?
Check out our Winter Bucket List for more fun winter activities.